R63.00 Incl. VAT
R63.00 Incl. VAT
Sold per portion
- Delivery Information
- Additional information
- Cut Diagram
Pork leg shank brined and smoked. Portion size 1.1kg.
Please note we endeavour to complete all deliveries within two working days. Below is a list of the main areas and the days we deliver to those areas.
Contact our friendly staff to confirm your delivery dates and times.
Cape Town CBD and Atlantic Seaboard – Monday to Saturday.
Southern Suburbs up to Steenberg – Monday to Saturday.
Northern Suburbs – Monday to Saturday.
Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Paarl Franschhoek & Overberg – Tuesday.
Table View, Sunset Beach & Blaauwberg – Monday to Saturday.
False Bay Area including Muizenberg, Simon's Town, Hout Bay & Kommetjie – Wednesday.
Mitchells Plain – Area not on a set route, delivery day subject to number of accumulated orders in the area.
To unleash the great flavour and tender, succulent texture of brined and smoked ham hocks, they must first be simmered slowly or slow cooked in the oven to tenderise them. Then baste and brown them in the oven or on the braai. Fresh un-brined or smoked hocks are equally delicious prepared in this way.
- 1 smoked ham hock (± 1,3 kg)
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) hot water
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large onions, cut up roughly
- 6 black peppercorns
- Use Ina Paarman’s sticky marinade
- If oven baking, adjust the oven rack two shelves below the middle and preheat the oven to 160°C.
- In a pot, combine the ham hock, water, Chicken Stock Powder, bay leaves, onions and peppercorns. Place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Cover tightly.
- Cook in the oven or on top of the stove for about 2½ hours, until the meat is tender.
- Cool and store the hock in the cooking liquid until ready to use. The braised hock will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Discard the cooking liquid. Gently remove the rubbery skin with a sharp knife. Be careful not to pull any of the meat away.
To glaze in the oven:
- Position the oven shelf one slot below the middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan and coat with marinade. Bake for ± 20 minutes while basting with more marinade from time to time.
To brown on the braai:
- Remove the hock from the stock and remove rubbery skin.
- Place it over medium coals and start glazing with marinade, turning every now and again until glazed and browned.
- Serve with Baby Cabbage Ribbons with parsley.